On May 27, 1913, citizens voted in favor of incorporating the town. Three years later the population within the city limits exceeded two thousand. They held an election on April 18, 1916, to become a city of the first class. In earlier years one-room schoolhouses known as Dry Hill and Tiger provided children with an education. In October 1914 a two-story, stone building opened as an elementary and high school called Washington School (listed in the National Register of Historic Places, NR 81000462).
(Information found on https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=DR008)